Next Pope Tipped To Be An Italian Job
By Sarah Preece on 2010-10-21 11:52:37
(21 October 2010) The Papacy is being tipped to return to the hands of the Italians following Pope Benedict’s appointment of 24 new cardinals.
Irish Bookmaker Paddy Power now make an Italian their 7/4 favourite to succeed Pope Benedict as the 266th Pope when the time comes. Despite the fact an Italian Cardinal is tipped for the Pontiffs office Nigerian Cardinal Francis Arinze is still the overall frontrunner on the bookies papal book at 2/1.
The boost for Italy comes following the news that a total of ten, almost half of Pope Benedict XVI’s new twenty-four strong consistory, are Italian. Come 20th November, a total of 25 of the 120 voting-age Cardinals will be Italian.
Italians held the papacy for 455 years until the election of Poland`s John Paul II in 1978, followed by the German-born Benedict in 2005.
Sharon McHugh, spokesperson for Paddy Power, said: “This is great news for the Italian’s who, after 32 years, are longing to see one of their own back in the Vatican.”
Amongst those favoured to be the next Pope are Cardinal Angelo Scola from Venice at 6/1, Honduran Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga at 8/1 and Italy’s Dionigi Tettamanzi at 12/1.
U2 front-man Bono is the 1000/1 rank outsider. While the odds look stacked against the Irishman it is worth remembering that technically any unmarried Catholic man could be chosen as the next Pope!
All twenty-four new cardinals will receive their red beretta’s and rings on November 20th when Pope Benedict officially appoints them as Cardinals.
Where will the Next Pope come from?
- 7/4 Italy
- 15/8 Africa
- 9/4 South America/Central America
- 10/1 United States
- 20/1 Spain
- 25/1 Germany
- 25/1 France
- 33/1 UK
- 50/1 Ireland
- 2/1 Francis Arinze (Nigeria)
- 6/1 Cardinal Angelo Scola (Venice)
- 8/1 Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga (Honduras)
- 10/1 Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco (Italy)
- 12/1 Jorge Mario Bergoglio (Argentina)
- 12/1 Dionigi Tettamanzi (Italy)
- 14/1 Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Italy)
- 16/1 Count Christoph von Schoenborn (Austria)
- 16/1 Archbishop Piero Marini (Italy)
- 16/1 Archbishop Raymond Burke (America)
- 18/1 Cardinal William Levada (America)
- 20/1 Claudio Hummes (Brazil)
- 20/1 Daniel DiNardo (Galveston-Houston)
- 20/1 Cardinal Leonardo Sandri (Argentina)
- 25/1 Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa (Chile)
- 25/1 Cardinal Ruini (Italy)
- 25/1 Philippe Barbarin (France)
- 33/1 Cardinal Karl Lehmann (Germany)
- 33/1 Attilio Cardinal Nicora (Roman Curia)
- 33/1 Norberto Rivera Carrera (Mexico)
- 33/1 Jose Da Cruz Policar (Portugal)
- 33/1 JaimeLucas Ortega y Alamino (Cuba)
- 33/1 Cardinal Renato Martino (Italy)
- 33/1 Wilfred Napier (South Africa)
- 33/1 Cardinal Odilo Scherer (Sao Paulo)
- 33/1 Cardinal Antonio Canizares Llovera (Spain)
- 40/1 Angelo Sodano (Italy)
- Premier League Favourites Man City 80/1 To Go Unbeaten As Big Two Win
- Scoop6 unclaimed after Ajaya success
- Transfer update - Neymar 10/1 for United - Stones odds-onto sign for Chelsea again
- Matter Of Tyne? - Rooney 2/1 To Outscore Newcastle
- Man City 5/4 Favourites For Title - Chelsea 10/11 To FinishTrophy-Less
- Happy Monday For Manchester As City Overtake Chelsea
- Same Old Arsenal, Always Flattering? Gunners Drift For Title
- Premier League Relegation - New Kids On The Block 13/2 To Hang Tough
- Ambitious Boro & Derby Dominate Championship As Kick Off Looms
- Ashes Betting - Homeboy Broad Ties The Aussies In Notts