Ready, Steady, Blow - Volcano betting erupts!
By Sarah Preece on 2009-12-31 12:50:12
Ireland’s largest bookmaker, Paddy Power, have begun taking bets on the next volcano to erupt with a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 3 or greater. This unorthodox betting opportunity was fuelled by numerous requests from punters around the globe following the recent eruption of Mount Mayon in the Philippines.
Mount Unzen on the island of Kyūshū in Japan, which was most recently active from 1990 to 1995, has attached the biggest number of bets so far and has been installed at the bookmakers 3/1 favourite. The largest volcano on the planet, Hawaii’s Mauna Loa, is the 9/1 second favourite with Ulawun in Papua New Guinea close behind at odds of 10/1.
A Volcanic Explosivity Index of 3 would be considered severe but not uncommon with volcano’s such as Mount Vesuvius, Mount Etna, Surtsey, Eldfell, Nevado del Ruiz all experiencing this class of eruption over the past hundred years.
Household names such as Italy’s Mount Vesuvius and Mount Etna also feature in the bookmakers betting and are both available to back at odds of 28/1.
Paddy Power said “It’s amazing what punters will bet on and this particular betting market had our odds compilers literally outside their comfort zone. Suffice to say it’s a lot easier to figure out the odds on a football match than on a volcano erupting, but definitely not as much fun!”
NEXT VOLCANO TO ERUPT
- 3/1 Mt Unzen (Japan)
- 9/1 Mauna Loa (USA)
- 10/1 Ulawun (Papua New Guinea)
- 10/1 Merapi (Indonesia)
- 10/1 Santorini (Greece)
- 11/1 Colima (Mexico)
- 11/1 Rainier (USA)
- 11/1 Taal (Philippines)
- 11/1 Teide (Spain, Canary Islands)
- 12/1 Mt Nyiragongo (DR Congo)
- 12/1 Popocatepetl (Mexico)
- 14/1 Sakurajima (Japan)
- 16/1 Stromboli (Italy)
- 22/1 Avachinsky (Russia)
- 22/1 Galeras (Colombia)
- 28/1 Mt Vesuvius (Italy)
- 28/1 Chaiten (Chile)
- 28/1 Etna (Italy)
- 33/1 Santa Maria/Santiaguito (Guatemala)
- 33/1 Yellowstone (USA)
(*VEI of 3 of greater. Excludes Mayon Volcano)
- Well Backed Arsenal 10/1 For Chelsea Double As Gunners Shorten Again For Title
- Are Big Spending Arsenal title challengers?
- Community Shield! Cech & Co 5/2 To Keep Clean Sheet Against Chelsea
- £650,000 reward for Scoop6 glory
- Fat Chance? Rafa & Jose 7/2 To Be Grouped Together In ChampionsLeague
- FIFA President: Platini Favourite - Will Blatter Go Quietly?
- Lions Tamer Without Benteke & Delph As Villa Cut For Relegation
- Ladbrokes: Farron huge favourite for Lib Dem crown: Bookies issue odds on margin of victory.
- Betting Opened On European Capital Of Culture 2020
- Tsipras odds-on (8/11) to leave this year - Grexit odds hit all time low (1/12)