Ready, Steady, Blow - Volcano betting erupts!
By Sarah Preece on 2009-12-31 12:50:12
Ireland’s largest bookmaker, Paddy Power, have begun taking bets on the next volcano to erupt with a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 3 or greater. This unorthodox betting opportunity was fuelled by numerous requests from punters around the globe following the recent eruption of Mount Mayon in the Philippines.
Mount Unzen on the island of Kyūshū in Japan, which was most recently active from 1990 to 1995, has attached the biggest number of bets so far and has been installed at the bookmakers 3/1 favourite. The largest volcano on the planet, Hawaii’s Mauna Loa, is the 9/1 second favourite with Ulawun in Papua New Guinea close behind at odds of 10/1.
A Volcanic Explosivity Index of 3 would be considered severe but not uncommon with volcano’s such as Mount Vesuvius, Mount Etna, Surtsey, Eldfell, Nevado del Ruiz all experiencing this class of eruption over the past hundred years.
Household names such as Italy’s Mount Vesuvius and Mount Etna also feature in the bookmakers betting and are both available to back at odds of 28/1.
Paddy Power said “It’s amazing what punters will bet on and this particular betting market had our odds compilers literally outside their comfort zone. Suffice to say it’s a lot easier to figure out the odds on a football match than on a volcano erupting, but definitely not as much fun!”
NEXT VOLCANO TO ERUPT
- 3/1 Mt Unzen (Japan)
- 9/1 Mauna Loa (USA)
- 10/1 Ulawun (Papua New Guinea)
- 10/1 Merapi (Indonesia)
- 10/1 Santorini (Greece)
- 11/1 Colima (Mexico)
- 11/1 Rainier (USA)
- 11/1 Taal (Philippines)
- 11/1 Teide (Spain, Canary Islands)
- 12/1 Mt Nyiragongo (DR Congo)
- 12/1 Popocatepetl (Mexico)
- 14/1 Sakurajima (Japan)
- 16/1 Stromboli (Italy)
- 22/1 Avachinsky (Russia)
- 22/1 Galeras (Colombia)
- 28/1 Mt Vesuvius (Italy)
- 28/1 Chaiten (Chile)
- 28/1 Etna (Italy)
- 33/1 Santa Maria/Santiaguito (Guatemala)
- 33/1 Yellowstone (USA)
(*VEI of 3 of greater. Excludes Mayon Volcano)
- Indian Premier League: Sunrisers Hyderabad v Rajasthan Royals Odds and Betting Preview
- Indian Premier League: Chennai Super Kings v Kings XI Punjab Odds and Betting Preview
- City Drift To 6-1 For Title After Being Held By Sunderland
- Betfred unmoved by Sandiva success
- Indian Premier League: Delhi Daredevils v Royal Challengers Bangalore Odds and Betting Preview
- £3m Scoop6 highlight of totepool Easter eggstravaganza
- Arsenal's Odds Shorten For Top Four Finish
- Messi Back To His Best In El Clasico? Real Madrid 14/1 For Trophy Treble
- Odds Slashed On 2014 Being The Hottest Year On Record
- Indian Premier League: Mumbai Indians v Kolkata Knight Riders Odds and Betting Preview